Notebook is a main level of organization in Outline. It is a book devoted to one certain topic.
Create New Notebook
To create a new notebook, click + in the navigation tree on the left. Choose Create New Notebook and enter its title in the corresponding field. Then click on the folder icon to choose location on your Mac to save it (for example Documents > Outline notebooks). Finally click Save and make your first note.
NOTE:The notebook created this way will be local and won't sync to any other devices and apps. Outline doesn't have automatic synchronisation.
Outline for Mac opens notebooks created in iPad version or in Microsoft OneNote from the following locations:
• Local Storage You can work with notebooks stored locally on your Mac. Click + next to NOTEBOOKS, select Local, Dropbox or Box and choose a notebook folder from your local folder OR just drag and drop the notebook folder to the navigation tree.
• Local Networks You can also open and edit notebooks stored on your Local Area Networks.
• Dropbox and Box Install sync client app on your Mac and open your notebooks from the local Dropbox or Box folder.
• iCloud Drive Use iCloud system folder to open notebooks stored on your iCloud. Outline automatically connects with iCloud account used on your Mac. There is no sign in window for iCloud in Outline.
• Microsoft OneDrive Personal Log in your OneDrive Personal account and open the notebooks using + icon at the top of notebooks pane > Open from OneDrive. This is a native sync provider for Microsoft OneNote.
• WebDAV Connect to your WebDAV server, open, edit and sync the changes.
• Microsoft SharePoint Server & Microsoft OneDrive for Business Available for sync starting from Outline version 3.18.
Customize your notebook by choosing a cover which suits a topic, your thoughts or mood best! Right-click on the notebook's name, choose Properties and set a proper color. Don't forget to click Save!
NOTE:Selected cover colour will be transferred to OneNote if you work in synced OneDrive notebook. Changing cover in Outline for iPad or iPhone you'll get the cover colour in your Mac Outline changing as well.
Since Outline can be synchronized with Microsoft OneNote and changes its format and structure to OneNote format, it is not possible to rename notebooks within Outline. To change the name of a notebook, you need to rename a local folder where its files are stored. Please keep in mind that once you renamed a notebook, it has to be re-opened from the storage to get in sync again.
For your convenience we added a possibility to find the location of your notebook: - right-click on a notebook's cover and choose Show in Finder. You`ll be redirected to a folder which contains this notebook.
This option is available for Local, Dropbox and Box notebooks. In case you don't see Show in Finder option, check your notebook's Properties. It must be located on OneDrive, WebDAV or iCloud. You'll see the corresponding titles in Properties > Location.
If you want to delete a notebook from the navigation tree, right-click on its name and choose Close / Move to Trash. The notebook will disappear from the app, but to fully delete all notebook files from Mac, please go to a folder it is saved in, right-click and choose Move to Trash.
NOTE:There are different options for local and cloud stored notebook: you'll see Close option available for Local notebooks and Move to Trash for cloud based.
Did this answer your question?Thanks for the feedbackThere was a problem submitting your feedback. Please try again later.