Syncing with iCloud
In today's digital age, note-taking has become an integral part of our daily routines. With the increasing prevalence of Apple devices, harnessing the power of iCloud to seamlessly sync notes across all platforms has become a game-changer.
In this comprehensive article, we delve into the art of syncing your notes using the Outline app with iCloud. Moreover, we'll shed light on crucial technical aspects that will elevate your note-taking experience to a whole new level.
So how do I get started if I've chosen iCloud?
Follow these steps:
1. Enable iCloud Drive
Go to System Settings > iCloud and log in with your Apple ID.
Check the box for iCloud Drive folder in Finder. It should appear there.
Note: If the local folder doesn't appear in Finder, go to Finder > Settings > Sidebar and enable iCloud Drive.
2. Organize Notebooks
- An Outline folder will be automatically created within iCloud Drive.
- If you already have notebooks created locally, move them into the Outline folder.
- If migrating from other cloud services, copy-paste your notebooks from the initial cloud folder to the Outline folder in iCloud Drive.
3. Open Notebooks
- Open Outline and click + next to NOTEBOOKS in the navigation tree.
- Choose Open from iCloud > Outline folder > Your notebook > Open.
Or you can simply drag and drop the notebook folder into the navigation tree within the app.
4. Create New Notebooks
- To create a new notebook, click + next to NOTEBOOKS.
- Select Create New Notebook > Location > iCloud Drive folder > Select > Save.
Please note ❗
- iCloud Drive doesn't allow simultaneous edits, so make sure that you are editing your files on one device at a time only. Otherwise, it will create conflict copies.
- If you get a notification that there is a problem with uploading a file to iCloud + there is enough free space, then wait a little while, synchronization will definitely complete. Through Finder you can see how much data has already been uploaded by clicking on the ⚪ icon near the iCloud Drive folder.
- You can recover deleted notebook files for the last 30 days on icloud.com. Go to Data Recovery > Restore Files.
Syncing notes with iCloud Drive through the Outline app provides you with a powerful tool to keep your thoughts organized and accessible across all your Apple devices. By following the steps mentioned in this guide and keeping the technical considerations in mind, you can make the most of iCloud's syncing capabilities for a smoother note-taking experience. Good luck!